How did you get started with electronics?

So its time for electronics to get a poll! :zap:

Now I must start off by saying that I am not a master of electronics haha. My experience is very limited as 3D printing has been more of my thing. With that being said I have done some very basic projects, with the help of others, using Arduino and Raspberry Pi.

So similar to the question I posted in 3D Printing category I am curious as to how other members got started with electronics. If you have an interesting story then please post it in the comments below.

My journey began with a Raspberry Pi 3. Being a fan of retro games I created a little Retropie setup. While this is a fairly simple process these days it was my first experience of the world of electronics. Since then I have done a few very basic Arduino based LED projects using Arduino Pro Mini. During those projects I did my first bit of soldering.

I look forward to seeing the results of the poll and any stories you are willing to share. As always if you choose “Other” I would love to hear what brand you used.

First Electronics Poll
  • Arduino
  • Raspberry Pi
  • Custom Board
  • Other

0 voters

Poll will close on 1st July 2022 at midday.

Tinkered with a lot of stuff (LEDs, 555 timers etc) when I was younger, but a Raspberry Pi was my first exposure to SoCs and SBCs. Similarly, I did a RetroPi install. Since then I started Arduino based stuff to customise printer firmware, but that has evolved into tools to automate dust extraction in my workshop, doing a scratch-built CNC machine and my own scratch-built camera focus and motion control system.

It’s been interesting.

1 Like

Its interesting how Retropie or similar is a common starting point for a bunch of people haha. That is quite the evolution from messing with firmware to custom stuff like CNC and camera systems! Really interesting and thanks for the response! :sunglasses: